Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Dog Days

While some find the summer days calling them to vigorous outdoor pursuits, they call me to iced drinks, long reads and afternoon snoozes. I don't really get to nap, but for a few hours in the afternoon I can scarcely keep my eyes open. As temperatures hit the upper 90's and top 100, it is hard to move, expending as little energy as possible to keep my internal tempoerature down as much as possible. I'm amazed by men who can work in the heat day after day, while temperatures soar and the sun beats down on them. Roofers, pavers, framers and others somehow manage to work hard all summer long and never seem to succumb to the languor that afflicts me.

Then there are those crazy people who decide that 97 degrees is the perfect temperature for...biking, hiking, running, jogging, tennis, golf, etc. Some of you seem to enjoy sweating. I HATE sweating. I don't get the appeal. I'd rather do just about anything else.

No comments: