Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I've been thinking...

About Heroes.

Blame it on Ron and Ryan, who have begun a series on biblical heroes. I am thinking about heroes. One of my new heroes is a friend of mine who has decided to follow the Spirit's prompting through the Word and doing something that is scary and seems foolish to most people. I am so proud of her.

I have decided that obedience based on my understanding of the command, the reasoning behind it and assenting mentally to the wisdom of that course of action is not obedience at all. I am still then relying on my own wisdom to determine what I am going to do. True obedience does not require understanding, it requires knowledge of and trust in the one who gives the command.

I also tried to compose an Ode to Garbage Men that goes something like this:

My heros are the men who came today
and hauled my rubbish away
Without them my house would reek
with the smells of food I didn't eat
Papers would gather, cans would collect
bags would bulge in stacks by the sink
Without these men the smells of
burning trash would fill the air
from the incinerators the acrid smoke would pour
As we reduce our trash to ash.

Their uniforms may not be NFL chic
Their trucks I may not envy
But I can live without the game
Without my trash men? Never.

Okay, so it's not great literature, but it amuses me.

No comments: